Sample Interview Questions
may not ever be asked all these questions, but it wiser to come up with answers
now than to be surprised in an interview.
to Thad Peterson for writing these questions for Monster.com
me about yourself.
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Who was your favorite manager and why?
- What kind of personality
do you work best with and why?
- Why do you want this job?
would you like to be in your career five years from now?
- Tell me about
your proudest achievement.
- If you were at a business lunch and you ordered
a rare steak and they brought it to you well done, what would you do?
I were to give you this salary you requested but let you write your job description
for the next year, what would it say?
- Why is there fuzz on a tennis ball?
- How would you go about establishing your credibility quickly with the
- There's no right or wrong answer, but if you could be anywhere
in the world right now, where would you be?
- How would you feel working
for someone who knows less than you?
- Was there a person in your career
who really made a difference?
- What's your ideal company?
attracted you to this company?
- What are you most proud of?
are you looking for in terms of career development?
- What do you look
for in terms of culture -- structured or entrepreneurial?
- What do you
like to do?
- Give examples of ideas you've had or implemented.
are your lifelong dreams?
- What do you ultimately want to become?
would you describe your work style?
- What kind of car do you drive?
me about a time where you had to deal with conflict on the job.
the last book you read?
- What magazines do you subscribe to?
would be your ideal working situation?
- Why should we hire you?
did you like least about your last job?
- What do you think of your previous
- How do you think I rate as an interviewer?
- Do you have
any questions for me?
- When were you most satisfied in your job?
can you do for us that other candidates can't?
- What are three positive
things your last boss would say about you?
- What negative thing would
your last boss say about you?
- If you were an animal, which one would
you want to be?
- What salary are you seeking?
- What's your salary
- Do you have plans to have children in the near future?
were the responsibilities of your last position?
- What do you know about
- What do you know about our company?
- How long
will it take for you to make a significant contribution?
- Are you willing
- What was the last project you headed up, and what was its
- What kind of goals would you have in mind if you got this job?
- Give me an example of a time that you felt you went above and beyond
the call of duty at work.
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
you describe a time when your work was criticized?
- Have you ever been
on a team where someone was not pulling their own weight? How did you handle it?
- What is your personal mission statement?
- Tell me a time when
you had to give someone difficult feedback. How did you handle it?
is your greatest failure, and what did you learn from it?
- What irritates
you about other people, and how do you deal with it?
- What is your greatest
- Who has impacted you most in your career, and how?
do you see yourself doing within the first 30 days of this job?
the most important thing you've learned in school?
- What three character
traits would your friends use to describe you?
- What will you miss about
your present/last job?
- If you were interviewing someone for this position,
what traits would you look for?
- List five words that describe your character.
- What is your greatest achievement outside of work?
- Sell me this
- If I were your supervisor and asked you to do something that
you disagreed with, what would you do?
- Do you think a leader should be
feared or liked?
- What's the most difficult decision you've made in the
last two years?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- Why are you
leaving your present job?
- What do you do in your spare time?
do you feel about taking no for an answer?
- What was the most difficult
period in your life, and how did you deal with it?
- What is your favorite
memory from childhood?
- Give me an example of a time you did something
wrong. How did you handle it?
- Tell me one thing about yourself you wouldn't
want me to know.
- Tell me the difference between good and exceptional.
- Why did your choose your major?
- What are the qualities of a
good leader? A bad leader?
- What is your biggest regret, and why?
are three positive character traits you don't have?
- What irritates you
about other people, and how do you deal with it?
- If you found out your
company was doing something against the law, like fraud, what would you do?
many times do a clock's hands overlap in a day?
- How would you weigh a
plane without scales?
- What assignment was too difficult for you, and
how did you resolve the issue?
- If I were to ask your last supervisor
to provide you additional training or exposure, what would she suggest?
you could choose one superhero power, what would it be and why?
the best movie you've seen in the last year?
- Describe how you would handle
a situation if you were required to finish multiple tasks by the end of the day,
and there was no conceivable way that you could finish them.
- What techniques
and tools do you use to keep yourself organized?
- If you could get rid
of any one of the US states, which one would you get rid of, and why?
your eyes closed, tell me step-by-step how to tie my shoes.
- If you had
to choose one, would you consider yourself a big picture person or a detail oriented
- If selected for this position, can you describe your strategy
for the first 90 dayss
- Who are your heroes?
- Tell me 10 ways to
use a pencil other than writing.